The stakes are high when operating a vehicle and driving along high-traffic roads. The World Health Organization estimates 1.25 million people die each year globally due to a road traffic crashes with an additional 20 to 50 million people suffering from non-fatal injuries, costing most countries three percent of their gross domestic product.
In the United States, over 35,000 people lost their lives in traffic related incidents in 2015. Of these deaths, more than 10,000 occurred on high-traffic interstates and roads. Telematics provider Teletrac Navman illustrates some of the most dangerous highways in the U.S. where fatalities and traffic congestion intersect.
There are many factors that contribute to a crash. Unsafe driving behavior such as speeding, harsh braking, distracted driving or even driving while fatigued have proven to be hazardous habits.
Transportation businesses have taken safety into their own hands by implementing telematics systems to better protect their drivers on the road. A telematics system can offer the following safety benefits:
- Data captured through sensors provide fleet managers with insight into driver speeding, harsh braking, stop sign violations, and more. This information can help businesses coach their drivers to build the skills they need for responsible driving.
- Identify impediments in the fleet that stem from poor driving, such as growing maintenance needs and high rates of vehicle depreciation, to help drivers realize the financial impact of their actions and create a plan to reward or incentivize better driving behavior.
- Easy, accurate and automated compliance solutions to tackle ELD, IFTA and DVIR regulations under the US Department of Transportation.
Using data collected from a telematics system can help educate drivers and build a safer fleet that is able to safely navigate high-traffic roads and interstates.
Latest posts by Sarah Barbod (see all)
- Choosing a telematics solution: the first questions to ask - December 29, 2017
- 5 common misconceptions about telematics systems in transportation organizations - December 19, 2017
- How to use telematics to avoid hazards on the road - December 14, 2017